NovaMatrix® is the trusted portfolio of biopolymers for biotech industries.
With METHONOVA™, we are building on decades of polymer science expertise, while meeting the exacting standards of NovaMatrix®.
With narrow specifications, METHONOVA™ methylcellulose is a cell compatible and filterable biopolymer, making it suitable for applications in biotechnology or bioprocessing, such as cell culture media.
METHONOVA™ is a plant-based, water-soluble biopolymer derived from cellulose, the most abundant polymer in nature. METHONOVA™ methylcellulose is a natural carbohydrate composed of repeating anhydroglucose units. During manufacture, cellulose fibers are treated with a caustic solution, followed by methyl chloride treatment, yielding the methyl ether of cellulose. The fibrous reaction product is purified and ground to a fine powder.
- METHONOVA™ has a low fiber content, easing sterile filtration
- METHONOVA™ is cell-compatible, verified via cytotoxicity test with mammalian cells
- Methylcellulose ethers dissolve in water
- Methylcellulose ethers are resistant to most enzymes, providing excellent viscosity stability during long-term storage
- Methylcellulose ethers allow for thermal gelation in aqueous solution
Specifications & Quality
* Examples only and not representative of a complete list of all quality tests
|Product||Apparent Viscosity (2%, 20C)||Quality testing*|
✓ Cell compatibility (cytotoxicity to mammalian cells)
✓ Elemental impurities
✓ Fiber content
METHONOVA™ methylcellulose is manufactured under excipient cGMP requirements. It is certified to meet the respective monographs: USP (United States Pharmacopeia), EP/PhEur (European Pharmacopeia) and JP (Japanese Pharmacopeia).
METHONOVA™ methylcellulose is suitable for use in biotech applications and bioprocessing. Cell-compatible methylcellulose has been applied and is increasingly being used in:
- Cell culture assays
- Stem cell protection
- Cryopreservation & cell media
- 3D bioprinting
Do you have questions regarding METHONOVA™ or are you interested in buying the product? Get in touch!